JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Some old old family pictures...

This week I spent a few days at my great aunt Barbra's house in Scarsdale, New York. Barbra has all kinds of good pictures and letters in her house, and I had some of them scanned. I did the same at Maeluise's house in Rochester last month. So here are some of the pictures I found.

I'm not totally clear on exactly how many generations back this is, but it's Happie's father's side (the Nusbaums), German Jews. It is labeled "early 1800's".

The woman on the top right is Hattie Ballin, Happie's grandmother who she was named after. The youngest one in the front is Florence, who became a famous artist (you can find a bit about her on Google), she moved to Woodstock NY, died in the 60s. There are tons of gorgeous old postcards in Barbra's house, sent to Florence in places she traveled to all over Europe in the 1890s and 1900's. She later Married Konrad Cramer, also a well-known painter.

There is a later picture of Florence here: http://www.newpaltz.edu/museum/exhibitions/maverick/fcramerdet.htm
and some info about her and Konrad and another picture here.

This is my great-grandfather, Ferdinand Nusbaum (Happie, Mae, and Barbra's father) with his mother, Hattie Ballin Nusbaum.

Ferd and his sister Janet, who much later wrote a memoir (just for the family) which from what I've seen so far is hilarious. She was a poet. I don't think I met Aunt Janet (though Barbra thinks I have), but I like her! And I love this picture.

Hattie with her three kids, Janet, Barney, and Ferd.

Hattie Ballin Nusbaum, my great-great-grandmother. There is something about her expression that makes me love her. And she's quite a handsome woman, don't you think? She died in the 20s, or around the time of Happie (her grand-daughter's) birth.

This is my great-grandmother, Sadie Peller Nusbaum, later known as Amie (because she preferred that to Grandma). She died when I was ten, I remember visiting her grand apartment on 86th Street when I was little. I love this one.

Happie and Maeluise, around 1923. They both look so much like themselves here.

Happie, Maeluise, and their dad, Ferd.

4 Comments:

  • At August 10, 2007 at 5:26 AM, Blogger Jerri said…

    Love these like crazy!!!!

    You're like an archaeologist, sifting through the past to find clues to the present.

    Thanks for posting these. Such fun to see!

     
  • At August 10, 2007 at 3:29 PM, Blogger Deb Shucka said…

    What a treasure trove of pictures! Thanks for sharing them.

     
  • At August 12, 2007 at 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, you would have liked Aunt Janet. She was a founding member of the Gray Panthers, went to Sweden in the 60s to visit the draft dodgers, and was on Jimmy Carter's Council on the aging. My best memories I have of her (other than that she restricted herself to 2 cigarettes a day-one AM and one after dinner, and had one drink per day was her running around Washington DC in her 80s in a golf cart with a peace sign attached to a pole, and her report that when her husband, a wealthy very conservative doctor told her to stop her peace activist work, she replied, "I'll stop when you quit the AMA."
    Judi

     
  • At July 17, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Blogger Jess said…

    I love that story.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home