JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Monday, July 30, 2007

Update from Cambridge.

I haven't had time to post anything for a while because I was out of internet range at the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival this weekend. But before that, I spent the week in Cambridge, so here are some pictures from there.

Me on the front steps of the house we lived in the longest during my childhood. 54 Kinnaird Street near Central Square.

I was stunned to see that my climbing structure, though totally decaying into the fence, is still in the back corner of the backyard. I am sure nobody has used it in 20 years, it was falling apart even before we moved out in 1989.

My friend Emily on the front steps on Kinnaird St.

Me by the Charles River, where I used to spend a fair bit of time.

My old elementary school, Graham & Parks, is no longer housed in this building on Upton St (about 4 blocks from the house on Kinnaird). It seems to have become a parking lot, which was sad to see.

Emily and her niece, Ruby (her brother Caleb's daughter). It was a pleasure to meet Miss Ruby.

Ruby and her monkey and her sunscreen.

My mother's grave in Mount Auburn Cemetery.

Me standing on the ramp at the Boston University School of Social Work that my mother and her friends fought for in 1990.

My mom's good friend, Cal Andrews, who I had dinner with twice. Hadn't seen her in 17 years. It was really wonderful to see her.

Joanne and her and Beth's son, Gabriel. Joanne was my mother's girlfriend the year she got sick. We've been in touch ever since, but I hadn't seen her in about 6 years, and had not yet met Gabriel and Beth. So it was really good to stay there and hang out with them (and they happen to live about half a mile from the house on Kinnaird Street and even closer to the apartment we lived in in 1989-90 on Chestnut St).

Me and Joanne.

Stay tuned for a few pictures from Falcon Ridge. I'm taking a few days off from the visiting go to the beach and write. Then I'll go back to Cambridge for a few days before the Marge Piercy workshop at Omega next weekend.

6 Comments:

  • At July 30, 2007 at 6:58 PM, Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said…

    Great pics., Jess! And, HOW cute is that RUBY???????

    Emily looks darling! Love her at first sight!

     
  • At July 30, 2007 at 7:23 PM, Blogger hg said…

    Ditto Carrie!

    And, did you stick around for Arlo's set? I want my girls to hear him sing City of New Orleans!

    Can't wait to take them to hear Tracy at The Bite!

     
  • At July 30, 2007 at 7:27 PM, Blogger Jess said…

    Yeah, I stayed for Arlo. I'll post pictures of him. He did do City of New Orleans and it made me happy and I thought of your girls.

     
  • At July 30, 2007 at 7:40 PM, Blogger hg said…

    the one time i saw arlo, at a show where i was publicist, he did city of new orleans.

    and after the set i said hello to him, then something really stupid about loving his music and walked away. ... this is why i don't talk to random celebs/musicians unless i have some actual interesting conversation to make. Because if not, i just say something dumb and gratuitous that makes us both slightly uncomfortable - then i walk away...

     
  • At August 1, 2007 at 7:56 PM, Blogger Deb Shucka said…

    Just wandered through the last two post's worth of pictures. It's so great to have them to go with the story. I'm with Carrie - little Miss Ruby is to die for. I'm pretty impressed with the latte butterfly, too. Haven't seen that before.

    Are you getting excited about Marge Piercy? I can't believe you're so close to that already.

    You look great by the way.

     
  • At August 8, 2007 at 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WEll, I finally found the post your comments section. Ok, so I am not of this high tech generation. Perhaps it has nothing to do with my generation and is purely my neurotic technophobia.
    At any rate here I am. Jess, we (Beth, Gabriel and I ) all miss you and are experiencing Jess withdrawal. I know the space is tiny but you always have a place by us.
    Love you,
    Joanne

     

Post a Comment

<< Home