JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Writing Meme

Alright, Holly tagged me, so....

1. I have wanted to be a writer ever since I could write. Starting around third grade I wrote stories and kept journals. In 4th grade, my friend Emily and I made up our own language and used it at school.

2. In high school I won entry from my school (of about 2300?) into a writing contest of the National Council of Teachers of English.

3. In college I took some literature classes, but neglected to pick a school that had any creative writing program. After that I forgot that writing was so important to me, much less that I wanted to be a writer, although I still kept a journal (I now have a few boxes of about fifty-something volumes).

4. I didn’t really get back to writing seriously (seriously??) until about two years ago when I took a class with Ariel Gore at The Attic Writer’s Workshop.

5. I took a pretty big leap this summer and decided to take a trip to find/write the story about my mother/my family/myself that feels like it needs to be told. It was amazing, I got more out of it than I could have hoped, and now I am plugging away at working with the material I collected and making sense of it, and honestly I am pretty terrified about whether I can turn it into an actual book. The actual word book is scariest of all.

6. I am so eternally grateful for all the writing buddies I have found in the last year, for everyone who has read any of my writing or supported me in doing it. Thank you. Also grateful for the music and the musicians that have kept me inspired (and employed) through this process. And the kids (see below). ☺

7. I tag Terry, Jonah, and Rebecca. And I'll tag Prema (again), just to be sure. :)

PS What is a MEME??

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home