JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Lawrence, KS: Days 2/3, and Jerri's house!

Spent another day and night in Lawrence with Elise's family. Gorgeous kids, had a great time with them. Got to go to Mesfen's baseball game on Tuesday evening, and just missed Grace's game by a day (but I hear she really kicks butt out there). Also missed goat milking (maybe August?). Did get a chance to see some of Angela's gymnastics tricks.

For a little background, Elise is Dave Carter's sister. I met her and a few of the kids at his memorial service in Portland in 2002. We kept in touch and I visited them when I was passing through Kansas in the summer of 2003. Had a wonderful time with the kids and goats then, fell in love with them all, and had been looking for an opportunity to return ever since. I can't say quite how this is related to the story I am seeking out, except that the loss of my mother and the loss of Dave Carter are the two losses I have felt most deeply in my life.


Sunset from Elise's backyard.

Mesfen at the game.

Mesfen and his teammates after the game.

Grace.

Grace, me, Phoenix, and Angela.

Phoenix, Grace, Elise, Strong Muscles, Angela, and Baby.





It was hard to leave Lawrence, but not hard to drive an hour through Kansas City to my friend Jerri's house in Independence, Missouri. I'd been awaiting this visit for months. Jerri has a blog called Reflections on the Pond, and I have been dying to meet her pond since I met her last fall at the first of Jennifer's workshops I did (where I also met Holly and Prema). The pond is lovely, geese and all. So is Jerri's house and so, especially, is Jerri. I'll be here until Saturday, a lovely little respite from everything, a place to relax and hang out and write and drink wine (and go to Jerri's salon).

This morning I am enjoying my tea in Jerri's red love mug with fresh goat milk from Elise. Yuuuum. And the view is perfect.


3 Comments:

  • At June 28, 2007 at 7:57 PM, Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said…

    Oh my God, I didn't fully appreciate that the pond is close enough to TOUCH! No wonder you never want to leave! Who would??? Love that the love mug got mentioned! Happy, happy!

     
  • At June 29, 2007 at 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello Jess darling, I am drinking a little champagne and hoping you get here soon so we can have some martinis! Love the photos & travel stories.

     
  • At July 2, 2007 at 7:36 AM, Blogger Kim said…

    So gorgeous! And like Carrie, I have a new level of appreciation for this pond!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home