JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Two hikes north of Nederland, CO

On Friday I went up to Nederland to hang out with Darryl. We drove up to Caribou (partly Holly's idea, she'd been to a wedding there) and walked around for a while, then went back to Darryl's house and hung out on his stunning new deck.
A view to the east of the remains of Caribou, and Nederland below.


Darryl and a tree I liked.

View through cracked windshield of the road up to Caribou.

Me in the hammock on Darryl's deck. Note the hot tub and trampoline in the background. :)

View from Darryl's deck.


Me and Jeanne this morning.

This afternoon, Bindu and I went up near Eldora for a really lovely hike. I will miss the west and the mountains when I drive east to Kansas tomorrow....

Bindu at this lovely old abandoned log cabin we passed on the trail.

Me by a gorgeous waterfall.




Sorry I am too exhausted for any stories right now, but Boulder has been wonderful, I wish I could stay here longer. Tomorrow I am off to Lawrence, Kansas! I am well-stocked with healthy food for the long drive.

6 Comments:

  • At June 25, 2007 at 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a beautiful pictures! I would love to be able to sit there each morning, do some spiritual reflecting, taking in the amazing beauty of nature. It must have been so hard to leave!
    Have a safe trip to Kansas.

    Peace,
    Eileen

     
  • At June 25, 2007 at 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh, I am so jealous. LOVE it up there! My friends who got married in Caribou were caretakers for one of the old mines. They lived year-round for 6 years at 10,000 in a cabin with no water - i think a well needed to be 3,000 feet deep to be safely past the metals. They were only people in a burnt-to-the-ground ghost town.

    Seeing these pictures brought back this fragment of a dream I had about Caribou years ago. The whole town was still standing and buildings lined all up the road above where you took the picture of that ruined building.

    love.
    holly

     
  • At June 25, 2007 at 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the picture of you by the waterfall. What great light.

    How is DP? I see he is doing well :)
    xo tg

     
  • At June 26, 2007 at 6:23 AM, Blogger susan said…

    Dazzling photos.

    You look so content and serene next to the waterfall ....

    Delighted to think of you on your travels as I sit here in pajama-clad in my backyard drinking coffee and listening to the birds chirping. (Thank God for wi-fi).

    And thank you for keeping us posted and sharing your trip with us.

     
  • At June 27, 2007 at 9:42 AM, Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said…

    Nature! Yes! Good job!

     
  • At June 27, 2007 at 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jess, The Hesse trail (the one you did with Bindu) is my most common hike - the trailhead is about 10 minutes from my front door! I see you got to the waterfall. If you leave the trail and follow the river up frm the trailhead, well, it's the extra special scenic route to the waterfall. I'll show you next time! Did you get to Lost Lake? it's hard to find... cause it's Lost..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home