JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Happy Pesach!


So this was the first (and maybe only?) year I attended two Passover seders. One in Bethesda, Maryland at my cousin Bob's house (two days after his wedding), and one in Portland at Kate and Brandan's house. Very different occasions. There was much more family bonding at the first one, and much more drinking of wine and playing of silly games at the second one.

But the important thing, I realized this year, is that there was plenty of maror . That would be bitter herbs, aka horseradish. And suddenly I realized I love horseradish and I need to eat more of it (even if it's not homemade). Not only is it yummy, but good for your health and prevents cancer, too.

So I bought two kinds at New Seasons tonight. And I'm eating it on bread while I listen to Natacha Atlas, my favorite Egyptian pop star. Because I like to celebrate Passover with good bread and good Egyptian music. Don't you?

5 Comments:

  • At April 8, 2007 at 12:28 AM, Blogger hg said…

    only if it's dunked in Maneshevitz. Concord grape.


    funny.

     
  • At April 8, 2007 at 12:36 AM, Blogger Jonah said…

    Don't forget the Wasabi! (I wonder if that's kosher?)

     
  • At April 8, 2007 at 4:49 PM, Blogger Michelle O'Neil said…

    I totally do!

    Kidding. I don't. But I'm sure it's great.

    I can't think of Wasabi, without thinking..."whassssuuuuup?" and that just ruins it.

     
  • At April 8, 2007 at 6:05 PM, Blogger Jess said…

    OK, in fairness to the non-Jews reading, I should say that during Passover the eating of any leavened foods, meaning bread, is totally prohibited. And the ending of the enslavement of the Jews by the Egyptians is what Passover celebrates. So eating bread and enjoying Egyptian culture during this time would probably not make me the best Jew... But at least I like horseradish and red wine and matzo balls.

     
  • At April 9, 2007 at 7:06 AM, Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said…

    Thanks for the Jewish 101 lesson!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home