JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Vintage 60s RCA stereo console....

Vintage RCA Stereo Console

Earlier this year, one of my mom's old friends sent me a stack of her old records in the mail. I was excited, except that I didn't have a way to play them and the only person I knew who owned a record player was my friend Willa, who is five and has a plastic Snoopy one that her super cool parents got her. She did end up loving some of the records of my childhood, like the Annie soundtrack and Free to Be You and Me. So I left all my records with her and kept my eyes out for a cheap record player for myself.

And then, then other day, I found this at the awesome thrift store near my house (Rerun - NE 7th and Fremont). Only $20. The record player and radio both work great, the speakers sound really good. I asked why it was so cheap and they said they don't like to sell these, they take up too much room, they just wanted it gone. So Willa and her mom, Kate, came with their truck and helped me pick it up yesterday. It fits perfectly in my dining room. I am so excited to have it.

It's an RCA solid state, The Moncaya, Model VQT62. Can't find any of that online anywhere, so if you know how to figure out what year it is (or the value), let me know. I'm guessing early 60s-ish, based on the similar stuff I did find. (Click the link above for more pictures.)

3 Comments:

  • At July 7, 2008 at 6:33 AM, Blogger Dale said…

    Wow, it's my parents' stereo! In 1971 I was falling asleep on the carpet in front of that thing, having played the "Crosby Stills & Nash" album (quietly, so as not to wake anyone) seven consecutive times :->

     
  • At July 7, 2008 at 6:34 AM, Blogger Dale said…

    So let's see, it had been there since I was nine years old, I'm sure. Puts it back to 1967, at least.

     
  • At July 7, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said…

    Oh, NOW I get it! THIS is your cool new purchase! LOVE it! And, I totally had/loved/played incessantly both "Annie" and "Free to Be You and Me," too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home