JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Horses in Portland


Since my cousin Katie is blogging all the time now, maybe I'll see how long I can keep up with the frequent posts.

So tonight I am excited about the Portland Horse Project. Portland is full of old metal rings embedded in the sidewalks of older neighborhoods. These rings were used to tie horses to back in the day. Three years ago, a guy named Scott decided they should go to some use. I didn't know any of this until just now. I just saw horses tethered to rings around town and it always made me happy. When I realized that the house I bought this winter had a horse ring right in front of it, I was thrilled. I knew then that I could live here. But I also knew I needed to get a horse, and I didn't know where to find the right one or how to tether it. Now I have complete instructions.

Plastic horses as public art. This is why I love Portland.

If you don't live in Portland or are not familiar with all this, you have to read up on this and/or check out more of the pictures. And look out for my horse, coming soon. I have just the person in mind to help me...


*Pictures taken by/borrowed from Scott Wayne Indiana. Thank you.

3 Comments:

  • At May 22, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said…

    We have little plastic horses tied up all over my neighborhood! LOVE it, and everything about it!!!!

     
  • At May 22, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Blogger riversgrace said…

    Oh, my girl is already in bed but in the morning she will be SO excited to hear the news....we'll have to make a field trip out of it for her...in search of PDX horses!

     
  • At May 22, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    I had a nice white horse I was going to tie to our ring out front, but Melina adopted it, so now I have to find another one! It would go nice with the gnome I'm hiding in my raised bed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home