JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Conversations with kids


Here are a few priceless ones than I had to share. Keep in mind that Amelia is six, and River and Josie are three.

~~~

We're in the car and NPR is on softly in the background. "Who are you voting for, Jess?" Asks Amelia.

I'm taken aback. "Who are YOU voting for?"

"Barack Obama, I like him best."

"And why is that?"

"Because he'll change more things. More than Hillary."

"Ah, I see. I agree with you. So, what music do you want to listen to? Tracy, or I got a new kids CD with some really cool people on it. Which do you think?"

"The radio, please." Says Amelia.

"OK, but there's no music on."

"I know, Jess. I want to listen about Barack Obama."

And so we do. A few minutes later, they play a clip of Hillary saying that people keep telling her they wish they could vote for both candidates. "That might be possible someday," she says. I consider discussing it with Amelia, but she's already asleep in her carseat and Josie is talking softly to her little plastic piggy.

~ ~ ~

Josie: "Jess, I will always be your friend."

Me: "Always?"

Josie: "Yes, always. But someday, we'll die."

Me: "Yeah, we will."

Jo: "Because everyone dies someday. After a long long long long long time."

Me: "Yep. When they get really old."

Jo: "And sometimes when they get real sick, right Jess?"

Me: "That's right."

Jo: "Cuz things die and flowers die. And some people are already died."

Me: "Yeah.... How'd you know all that?"

Jo: "I'm just really good at thinkin'."


~ ~ ~

River and I are on my front lawn blowing bubbles in all directions and laughing hysterically. There's a good amount of foot traffic here, it's great people-watching. A punked-out young man with a straight-up mohawk and combat boots walks by. Suddenly River gets really quiet. She beckons to me. "Sshhhh, Jess," she says in a reverential tone. "It's an Indian."

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home