JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Some quotes for the week of Thanksgiving

“But listen to me; for one moment, quit being sad. Hear blessings dropping their blossoms around you.” - Rumi

"We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action." - Frank Tibolt

"I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them." - Adlai E. Stevenson Jr., speech during 1952 Presidential Campaign

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self." - Cyril Connolly

"I have made this [letter] longer, because I have not had the time to make it shorter." - Blaise Pascal, "Lettres provinciales", 1657

“Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning? It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies; it is the triumph of the Disagreeable and the Cross. I am convinced that the Muses and the Graces never thought of having breakfast anywhere but in bed.” - Elizabeth Russell

3 Comments:

  • At November 22, 2006 at 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love your quotes!
    Here are some random ones in return...

    The first one I especially like because it seems appropriate at Thanksgiving:

    With Beauty before us..
    with Beauty behind us...
    with Beauty above us...
    with Beauty below us...
    with Beauty in us...
    with Beauty all around us...
    with Beauty we walk.
    (Navajo Night Chant)

    The greatest pleasure I know is to do a good action by stealth and to have it found out by accident.
    (anon.)

    None of us are perfect. I myself am particularly susceptible to draughts.
    (Oscar Wilde)

    Happy Thanksgiving, Jess

     
  • At November 22, 2006 at 1:22 PM, Blogger Jess said…

    Who posted that first comment?? You gotta sign your name if you're an anonymous poster (unless you want to stay anon).

    Any other favorite quotes??

     
  • At November 28, 2006 at 10:22 AM, Blogger Jerri said…

    LOVE the quotes, especially Rumi.

    Thanks for you. Thanks to you. Many, many thanks.

    love,
    j

     

Post a Comment

<< Home