JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Monday, October 09, 2006

only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes




Reporting from the SE Division location of Stumptown Coffee, the best coffee in Portland....

So yesterday I had a major revelation. Those of you who know me well will understand the significance of this. I was picking cherry tomatoes in my garden, and just for the hell of it, I ate a few. I've eaten some before and didn't really like them. But this time I kept eating them and realized they were pretty good. Then I made some quesadillas for dinner and cut some up and put them in there with some good Vermont cheese, some organic sour cream, some lettuce, and my favorite hot sauce. And it was so good! It made me really happy (and made me finally get the song...). So this marks the first time in my entire life that I have ever enjoyed a raw tomato. We'll see if it lasts. I don't expect it will extend to full-size tomatoes. Anyway, here are a few pictures of my tomatoes and my crazy cat. Sweet version above and psychotic posessed version below. Those of you who know Emma Lou well will be familiar with both....

3 Comments:

  • At October 10, 2006 at 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It makes me happy to hear you have been able to enjoy the wonders of 'fresh' tomatoes... there are many different varieties, all with their own characteristics, just like wines, and the way they are grown makes a huge difference too... home-grown, organic, are always the best!!!
    Fresh..fresh...yes..yes... ;-))
    Heather

     
  • At October 10, 2006 at 1:21 PM, Blogger Jonah said…

    Congratulations. I predict all sorts of new vistas (and venues) opening up for you in the near future. This is merely a taste of things to come, I hope.

     
  • At October 10, 2006 at 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is the song I think of every summer when I go to farmer's markets and road side stands! Now you need to try tomatoes with fresh basil and mozzarella. I'm so glad you have finally seen the light ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home