JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Some new music

It's been a pretty great week for all kinds of reasons, but one is that I've gotten tons of new music since returning from the Americana conference. Nothing like a new radio show to get some new CDs in the mail. Unfortunately, the radio show won't be starting until January now, but it'll probably take that long to listen to all the new music, so it's OK.

Here are some thoughts on new music I've been listening to:

- Devon Sproule , who I saw last week in a tiny art gallery on Alberta, was great. Lots of personality, great guitar chops, unique energy and songwriting. Her CD sounded really good the one time I listened to it. Which was right before my car stereo got stolen, again, with that CD in it. I think I might manage to get a replacement copy though, and maybe even promote her the next time she comes to town.

- Northampton singer-songwriter Chris Pureka is coming on November 15th. See the Shining City web site for details. I just got an advance copy of her new album, Dryland. I like it a lot, it's full of her rich husky vocals that sound a little like Melissa Ferrick sometimes, only a hundred times better (I'm not so much into Melissa Ferrick). I'm partial to track 3, "So It Goes", probably because it features some great banjo as well as cool people like Goody Goodrich (guitar) and Merrill Garbus (vocals). That one has been on repeat.

- I got a free Luke Doucet CD in my swag bag at AMA. Not often to do find really good stuff in those bags, but I read an intriguing review of him in a magazine, so I listened to the CD and I loved it. It's just good solid angsty Canadian pop music. I'm looking into bringing him to Portland next month.

Another health care reform benefit is on the works for January. This time benefitting a great organization called The Archimedes Movement, started by John Kitzhaber, Oregon's popular former governor (see links at right).

And it looks like Raina is having a great time on her tour... She's in Boulder tonight.

So that's all for now. Other new music that I may or may not get around to writing about later includes: Kasey Chambers, Shawn Colvin, Michael Franti and Spearhead, Indigo Girls, Darrell Scott, and The Be Good Tanyas. Tell me about your new music?

Oh, and Ms. Jennie Lou has her own blog now, too: http://jlou.vox.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home