JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Onward to Missoula and more writing

Finished Jennifer Lauck's writing workshop on Sunday, three days with a group of eight truly amazing women in a cozy room with a stunning view of the changing light through the trees, colors of October. What did I get from this (besides cheesecake and a beautiful new scarf and an aunt)? I got some great feedback about my writing. I got to see my writing make a whole room full of women laugh hysterically. I got the push to keep going with this writing thing, and finally decided it was time to start a writing group. I had always put it off, the weekly accountability it would require, the commitment to my writing... But now is the time, and other people are already onboard. It's time for this.

All this does make me wonder what voice I want ot have on this blog, what it's purpose is. So far it's been much less personal than a lot of blogs I read. Feels weird to put too much of myself out on the web for all to see. But I do want it to be real. Guess I'll just continue to explore what feels right with it.

But for now I want to say thank you to everyone in Jennifer's worksop this weekend, and also everyone in Ariel Gore's memoir classes that I took last spring and fall. Onward....

And onward to Missoula tomorrow. To see my friends, to help put on a show there for Myshkin and Raina, to drink some Tipu's chai and stock up on Lolo Peak cherry wine and yummy smelly things at Body Basics. To listen to KUFM, see the mountains and the river, and eat french toast with David. And back on Sunday in time for Shawn Colvin at the Aladdin. Thanks to Lisa for being talked into going on a road trip.... :)

Quote of the week from Willa, after watching the first half of The Sound of Music and being slightly fixated on sixteen-year-olds ("I am sixteen, going on seventeen..."). We talked about her being sixteen, how that would be in twelve years, how she could drive then. I told her I hoped we'd still be such good friends. Serious look of concern. "But Jess, will you still be alive then?"

5 Comments:

  • At October 25, 2006 at 11:07 AM, Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said…

    Scarf? What scarf! Darn, I missed the giving of the scarf!

     
  • At October 25, 2006 at 11:13 AM, Blogger Jess said…

    I told Oshana her scarf was beautiful, and she took it off and put it around my neck. It was very sweet...

     
  • At October 25, 2006 at 1:00 PM, Blogger riversgrace said…

    Wow, I thought the same thing - what scarf? What did I miss? The bestowing of scarves is a cool perk of the awesome circle, eh? Loved reading your post, Jess. Safe journey. And good for you for being willing to hold a circle of your own. Wish I could be there, too.

     
  • At October 26, 2006 at 6:39 PM, Blogger Jerri said…

    Travel safe and happy, Jess.

    Loved this post. I DID see the bestowing of the scarf--both it and Oshana's generosity were beautiful.

    We want to hear all about your adventures when you return.

     
  • At October 26, 2006 at 8:12 PM, Blogger holly said…

    Me, too. Scarf. What scarf?

    The scarfstory tells the whole weekend in a singe line.

    Wish I could tape my feather onto my monitor - but that would be sacrificing it to the girls.

    Can't wait to get writing with you again.

    And, Prema~
    we wish you could be there too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home