JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Home ownership and responsible shopping

So I moved into my new house yesterday. It's beautiful. I'm still adjusting to the fact that I could possibly live in such a nice house AND even (co)own it. Pretty amazing.

Equally amazing are my friends. I am so hugely grateful for their help yesterday and all through this process. There is no way I would be here without them.

My real estate agent, Neil, rocks. Not only did he help me move, but tonight he brought me awesome housewarming gifts including a gift certificate to the tea shop I love, wine, and a Mezuzah (a small decoration inscribed with a Hebrew prayer to put outside your door). Oh and leftover sushi. If you live in Portland and you ever need a realtor, find Neil and tell him I sent you (he's also a friend of Holly's).

My neighbors on both sides seem really cool. On the left is a young couple with an adorable 18-month-old daughter and a small flock of chickens in the backyard. On the right is an older couple who brought me homemade blueberry muffins yesterday. :)

There are a bunch of things I need to get for my new house, domestic type things like a lawnmower, some furniture, a fence, window coverings, etc. There are all kinds of resources for things like this, but one thing that's been bugging me is how to find out which companies and products are environmentally (and socially) responsible. As a homeowner, I think it's especially important to pay attention to this stuff. I knew there was a web site for it, but it took me until today to find it: responsibleshopper.com, an offshoot of the Co-op America site, subtitled "economic justice for a just planet." One of the stores specifically that I was unsure about was Home Depot, and they have the scoop. So check out that site, use it well.

Also, a helpful book is "The Rough Guide to Shopping with a Conscience."

2 Comments:

  • At February 20, 2008 at 7:19 AM, Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said…

    You sound happy. I'm happy for you. Welcome to home ownership!

    love.

     
  • At February 20, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Blogger One Crafty Chick said…

    Congratulations! I thought you were just looking! That's great. We got our lawn mower from the lawn mower guy. He sells used ones on his front lawn on NE 33rd across from Grant High School. He's a crotchety fella, but he knows about lawnmowers. Buying used and local has gotta be responsible. Let me know if you'd like me to check out your basement space for massage rental.

    PS: started up my blog again after meeting you and carrie last month.....check it out if you want......reallywiththeband.blogspot.com.

    WOO HOO FOR YOU!!!!
    Shanta M.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home