JessPDX

Musings about music, writing, Portland, my new house, my travels, my family, politics, whatever.....

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Heat wave and a stop at Mount Shasta

At a coffee shop in the town of Mount Shasta now. I love it here, I first came about 10 years ago and fell in love with this little town and especially the mountain. Came here a few times on various road trips, I guess the last time was 2000 with my friend Emily (?). There is something special about Mount Shasta... I drove up the road 14 miles to a trailhead this morning and went for a short hike in Panther Meadows. Beautiful wildflowers, burbling brooks, pretty idyllic. And everyone hiking up there is very sweet and kind, they all seem to have a deep respect for the mountain, and the quiet.

The drive from Arcata yesterday was not fun, it was 114 degrees in Redding. But I found that the town of Weaverville, CA is actually pretty cute. Nice library, little natural food store downtown, cute coffee shop/music store where I bought some monkey bandaids for Willa (you gotta have cool bandaids!). I'm glad I came to Mt Shasta, but I don't think I need to do it from that direction again. Whiskeytown Lake is beautiful, but highway 299 I can do without.

I guess driving through record-breaking heat waves isn't the best idea. I read that it was 119 outside LA yesterday. It's supposed to be 97 here today, 111 in Redding, and 102 in Medford, OR. Portland will be nice, only 88. Here's a slightly disturbing article about heatwave deaths: http://www.slate.com/id/2068612.

OK, I better finish this IM conversation with Jonah in Cairo, make a stop at Berryvale Grocery, and get back on the road homeward.

4 Comments:

  • At July 27, 2006 at 4:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ich finde dein Blog prima

    your german dad

    I think it's great. I love it when you do things like this. very pink but not too pink

    love

     
  • At July 27, 2006 at 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Jess,
    Great idea for you to do. I love reading about you impressions and travel. If you love pink, keep it.
    love, Cal

     
  • At July 28, 2006 at 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    there is no such thing as too pink darling.
    ang

     
  • At July 28, 2006 at 9:57 PM, Blogger Lemony said…

    Jess, my sweet,

    Of course you should have a blog. It is rawther pink, but there's nothing wrong with occasional super girly girlyness. As you may have guessed, I'm a fan of illustrative photos on blogs, and as such, I encourage you to add pictures. But only if you want to.

    XO,

    Lemony

    P.S. Deb Talan is currently in heavy rotation in the Saab. Good stuff, esp. the song about Amelia Earhart. Thank you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home